Friday, July 19, 2024

Spain’s Most Popular Liqueur

                                                       43 adds a complex vanilla flavor
 

Little known in the US, “Licor 43” (simply Cuarenta y Tres to Spanish speakers) is the most sought after liqueur in its native Spain.  Named after the forty-three ingredients from which it's made, 43 Licor is a well-kept secret recipe of the family who has been making it for nearly eighty years.

I first encountered 43 on the island of Mallorca when I was served a decadent glass of white sangria at an upscale restaurant/hotel.  There was a definite something different, something quite wonderful that I couldn’t put my finger on…and it wasn’t the sparkling white wine from which it was made.   Fortunately, I was able to learn the recipe from the bartender:  Cava, sparkling lemonade and 43!   The Bartender couldn't believe I had never heard 43 and showed me the bottle.

                                       Summer is the perfect time for serving white 43 sangria

When exiting Spain I made sure to stop at the Duty Free to purchase a bottle to take home.  The display of 43 was gigantic, by far the largest in the entire store overflowing with every name-brand liquor.   I was dumbfounded that I had never heard of it in spite of  more than thirty trips to Spain.  

Upon returning back to the US my first sip of the liqueur I discovered what makes 43 so compelling.  In its virginal state, it was a vanilla bomb laced with many complexities.  It reminded me of a relative of Italian Tuaca & Galliano, both vanilla laden liqueurs.  But, 43 had so many layers:  cinnamon, orange peel & savory.  Now, I could understand why that first white Sangria had me at “Hola!”

                            White 43 Sangria is also a hit at Christmas with oranges & pomegranates

I  have made lots of this white Sangria after that trip to Mallorca. When I had almost finished the bottle of 43 I began to panic and wondered if I could get it shipped from Spain.  I Googled it and happily found that all the big liquor stores in the US carry it (e.g. Total Wine & BevMo).   Perfecto!

 

White Sangria recipe:

 Wine-Knows: Fine Wine & Gourmet Food Journeys for the Discerning Traveler: White, Red & Blue Sangria (wineknowstravel.blogspot.com)


No comments:

Post a Comment