There’s something about the end of one year and the beginning of a new one that causes me to pause and reflect. One of these year-end contemplations is often about my favorite meals of the year. This time, however, it came in a different form: what would be on the menu of my last meal? Here’s my list:
- To kick it off, a Kir Royale…and then an Aperol Spritz (Hey, it’s my last meal so who cares if I over-drink?)
- Next, a Margarita with guacamole, home-made chips & salsa, and a chile relleno (I’m no longer worried about my weight!)
- Then, fresh Dungeness crab…with lots of mayo and hot-from-the-oven sour dough French bread swimming in butter (goodbye cruel cholesterol count!)
- To follow would be pasta with fresh porcini mushrooms & freshly shaved white truffles, served with a well-aged Dal Forno Romano Amarone
- For dessert, I couldn’t leave this earth without having one more warm home-made brownie topped with pralines and cream from Baskin-Robbins (no worries about tomorrow!)
More importantly, however, than what’s on the menu is WHO I would be dining with. A reminder for all of us: we need to break-bread together with people we love more often…and bring out those old vintages now.
Happy New Year!